Monday, March 19, 2007

Errors in diagnosis

According to Dr. Jerome Groopman, misdiagnosis occurs in 15 to 20 percent of cases. Why? Because of how doctors think:

Only very recently have medical educators begun to focus squarely on the problem of misdiagnosis, why it occurs, and what might be done to prevent it. It turns out that errors in thinking do not occur in isolation, but usually arise from a cascade of sequential cognitive mistakes.

I only learned this recently when I realized I did not know how I think; in fact, when I asked other clinicians how they succeeded or failed in making a diagnosis, very few could explain how their mind works to decipher a patient's problems.
Click here to read the Boston Globe article. What implications do you think this might have for CME?

No comments: