Check out Doctor Richard L. Reece's essay "Six Innovations to Increase Productivity, Cut Costs and Extend Coverage." Briefly, they are:
1. Facilitating patient-physician information exchange as a key of productivity.
2. Introducing new, more focused and more productive medical specialties.
3. Lessons from retailers: Hidden in plain sight and DIG (Demand-First Innovation and Growth).
4. Demand for transparency with bundled services and bundled billing arrangements.
5. Chief innovation officers will become common.
6. Tax deductible insurance for everyone to extend coverage--with strings attached.
Click here to read more about these innovations; I especially like the Chief Innovation Officer concept (CIO has a nice ring to it).